- I'm Doing...
- About Me/Contact
Winter Solstice Quilt Block - August Update
Submitted by Pam on Mon, 08/27/2012 - 18:28
I have made lots of progress on my Winter Solstice quilt block project this month! My goal for August was to cut all the pattern pieces and stitch them together so the block is ready for embroidery - lots of embroidery! And I am almost there!
Like I said before - making blog posts of projects that have been languishing on my to do lists year after year - best idea I ever had! Quite an effective motivator!
And then there is the unexpected but hugely appreciated piece - your comments and support and interest! Thank you 1 million times for sharing in these adventures!
I began by transforming the little sketch I shared here into something a little more concrete.
And then I transfered the drawing onto a 13"x19" piece of card weight graph paper. (I am so sorry, I have no clue where I found this very useful graph paper - have had it for years.)
The double horizon line - just me changing my mind! I am using the lower horizon.
Tracing and cutting the paper pattern pieces took time and focus. I began by securing the pattern paper with tape and then using a straight edge to ensure that the paper pattern edges were perfectly straight.
Seam allowances are not included in the drawing so it was necessary to trace and cut one piece of the design at a time, adding the seam allowances at the time I traced each paper pattern section.
Sun rays are numbered 1 through 15 on the graph diagram and the numbers transfered to the corresponding paper pattern piece. Not wanting to get lost while stitching, paper pattern pieces will remain attached to each piece of fabric until stitching time!
The paper pattern pieces were cut to allow for extra fabric at the borders (outside edges of the block design) so that the block can be squared up when a "frame edging" is added.
I also added a bit more to the paper pattern edge that will be hidden under the sun - giving me a bit of leeway for sun placement.
I learned quickly that pinning and cutting pattern pieces was not the best choice. Once the pins were removed, the fabric piece was larger than the pattern. (I used to know this!)
It is a small amount to be sure, but I learned long ago that when it comes to quilting - "close enough" can result in a very wonky quilt block! Accuracy is key.
I love a good see-through straight edge and rotary blade! Makes cutting sooooo much easier - not to mention much more accurate
And ... tada! All my block pieces laid out together. I know! I know! Bright! But remember - I have a whole forest of trees to embroider so that the brilliant sky will only be peaking through the trees.
My sun has solar flares, prominences, filaments and gas plumes! Did you notice?
I am considering making a change of fabric for rays 14 and 2 - A little too much pattern. But again they will be covered with embroidery and the virtual image appears much more pronounced than it does in reality.
A peak at some of the perle cotton floss selected. I can hardly wait to start!
A huge thank you to my friend Maryline - she writes the beautiful Mary and Patch blog.
She suggested the perfect solution for completing the edges without binding - Atarashi! Thank you Maryline for sharing your sketches to demonstrate Atarashi and how it would work in this project!
My blocks will be both square and rectangular - she solved that too!
Feast your eyes on these examples of Atarashi! The back is going to be as pretty as the front!!!